It is vital to continually challenge your puppy and continue to teach them beyond the basics. We have a few tricks that every puppy should know. We recommend working with your puppy at least a half an hour before you go to work and then when you get home from work. Why is this you might ask? By working with your puppy about an hour a day you can master a few simple tricks to teach your new puppy.
Keeping The Momentum
Guiding and teaching your puppy the basics when you have this much momentum makes so much sense to keep challenging them. So many people make the mistake of trivializing tricks with their puppies, but the basics are sitting down, staying calm, some leash walking that is easy to master. Here at Dog Day Every Day we have added a few other tricks to try to master with your puppy. Of course, everyone has a smart puppy, so this will be an easy lesson!
Spinning in a Circle
According to Dog Day Every day, a canine’s drive to hunt makes spinning in circles a trick that any puppy can learn. “You can use your puppy’s natural feeling to rely on their nose to find food into luring them to move in all sorts of ways.”
- Let your puppy sniff the treat in your hand.
- Move your arm in a wide circle around the puppy as you give the cue, “spin.”
- Encourage your puppy to follow his nose to spin in a circle and reward them with the treat.
- Once your puppy understands this trick, graduate to only using the word “spin” or making a circular hand or arm gesture to elicit the behavior.
Puppy High-Five or Shake Your Hand
Is there anything more adorable than a handshake (or a high-five) from your best pal? This trick requires that your dog already knows “sit”.
- Ask your puppy to “sit”.
- Gently tickle the back of the leg until the puppy lifts the paw while using commands like “give paw” or “shake.”
- Reach for the paw and reward with a treat for carrying out the handshake. The same steps can be applied for a “high-five” command; hide the treat in your fist and try to get your puppy to paw at your hand while using the “give a high-five” prompt, ultimately opening your fist and rewarding your puppy for touching your open palm.
Dog Day, Every Day is devoted to making sure our guests are balanced and healthy through proper mental and physical exercise. We accomplish this by providing a fun, safe and secure atmosphere for them to run and play with their friends. You want the very best for your canine companions and so do we. Stop by today and see our facilities or call us at 513-860-DOGS and take the next step in fun for your canine.